Thursday, August 21, 2008

I Survived

I thought I would give an update on my single-parent experience. I am a totally spoiled-rotten mom who is so used to parenting with my husband. Dirk is so good at playing with the girls, entertaining them for hours, giving them their baths, snuggling with them at bedtime......the list could go on and on. I thought I was going to die without him for 11 days!!! He had a nice time in Idaho with his brothers but was glad to be home with his girls. And I was more than excited to have him home!! I knew I was in trouble when the girls started missing him the morning he left. "When is Daddy coming home? We like him more than you. ETC"

I tried to have something to do each day to help pass the days. One day we went to the museum but it was crazy busy with daycare groups and tons of kids. So that wasn't too fun. The girls got their hair trimmed and loved that. They played at their friends' one day and another day we had friends over for several hours. We also went to a birthday party (and froze because I forgot to take sweatshirts).

The highlight of our time without Daddy was going to Canada to see the Arcega's. All 4 kids had such a good time together, although Gabe didn't enjoy being around the 3 girls when they were playing house. Dana and I had some girl-time of our own at Ikea while Anthony took the kids to a park. They barely noticed we were gone. We also went to African Lion Safari and spent the day there. We saw an elephant show that was really good. The kids loved driving through the game reserve area and experiencing the monkeys climbing all over the van. We came out of there with our wipers intact. I'll post some pictures later.

2 comments:

Matt and Megan said...

Monkeys crawling on the van? I'm excited to see some pictures :)

Unknown said...

Barb,
I agree that it's not easy being a single parent occasionally - I can't imagine doing it full time.